Johnny Depp has been named the most overpaid movie star in Hollywood by Forbes magazine after posting a string of box office turkeys. Depp, who happens to be one of the highest-paid actors on the planet with estimated annual earnings of $30m (£20m), returned just $1.20 for every $1 he was paid according to the financial magazine’s metric. According to Forbes, the actor’s poor position is due to the financial failure of movies such as Mortdecai, Transcendence and The Lone Ranger, all of which wrecked at the box office on the back of derisive reviews.
The Lone Ranger was the biggest turkey, with studio Disney estimated to have lost upwards of $150m on the western, but comedy Mortdecai pulled in just $47.4m at the global box office against a production budget of $60m alone, and sci-fi thriller Transcendence only just recouped its $100m production costs, with marketing and other expenses likely to have put the film well into the red. See the list of Forbes’ most overpaid actors in Hollywood 2015.
1. Johnny Depp: $1.20 per $1.
2. Denzel Washington: $6.50 per $1.
3. Will Ferrell: $6.80 per $1.
4. Liam Neeson: $7.80 per $1.
5. Will Smith: $8.60 per $1.
6. Christian Bale : $9.20 per $1.
7. Channing Tatum: $10.80 per $1.
8. Brad Pitt: $12.00 per $1.
9. Ben Affleck: $12.30 per $1.
10. Tom Cruise: $13.60 per $1.